Thursday, March 14, 2013

Hockey update week 7

Time for the week 7 update. I might have thought it was HALFTIME but I guess that might be next week seeing that the season is ending last week of April (gasp!).

As for this glouriuos week of 7....
The chart ranks us all by our overall points, but the legend on the side is in the order we got this week.



The winners of the week were Modscientist & Lavaland with 45 points each but I think it's pretty clear that Genrepair and Gregg managed with great things as they collected 43 and 42 points resepctively (see the steep on the last one of them all on the chart - that's Gregg taking a big push to get out of the hole and Genrepair is the green, third from the bottom).

Meanwhile; Bob, Beth, Bam and myself are trying to remember that under 34 points are not going to make for happy things in this league...

Since we are doing stats, and I sort of thought this was half time I'm happy to provide information about "most averge points/week" and the spread of these points over all the weeks for each one of us.

 Average points indicate that there are indeed three groupings..... for now at least.


I love box plots, since they show clear things as distribution and average with the outliers. As is seen clearly, Gerty-Z is taking home the award for "most spread between weeks" (but I'm a happy second placer....). I might have run some anovas to see if I could find some significanly differences..... :)

I think Beth hosts next week - which ends tomorrow since I'm late with this.

As my final note; my team the Leafs might only be 6th in the conference right now, but that is since their whole DIVISION (sans one) is ahead.... I mean, Carolina is ahead on third place ONLY because they are their division leaders, not by points. Top 1,4,5,6 is from the same division.... *cough* I'm just sayin'. I'll save the comments about the new divsions until another post.

5 comments:

Lava said...

Damn that modscientist! I thought I had her last week.

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

Best. Update. EVAH!

I see from the second graph that I am right in the middle of the middle group. Hockey pool mediocrity, thy name is Cath!

chall said...

Lava: well better luck next week.

Cath: technically you're better than middle since you're closer to top ;) I'm following the same trajectory as my precious Leafs. Started out good but now falling towards the bottom. I think last week will be awesome but too late to make a difference (like I think leafs will miss out on play offs even if I would LOVE for that to be wrong)

Beth said...

What program did you use to make your boxplots?

chall said...

A program called Kaleidagraph (http://www.synergy.com/ ), they have free trail programs.

However, I love Prism (Graphpad http://www.graphpad.com/scientific-software/prism/ ), but that requires a license and that was left in my old lab. Prism is really a great program, especially if you work with groups (of animals or cells) and repeat experiements with a time frame of several days and different treatments. All that is easy to compare, make graphs and run various comparisons.

I think it is worth the money per year for someone in lab since you can export the graphs in almost any format, ready for publications/posters (my current place doesn't seem to think so though :( )

(And no, they don't pay me to promote them)